Pages

11.12.2013

diY dishwasher tablets *update*

So I decided to take the plunge and attempt to make my own dishwasher tablets/detergent.  I run my dishwasher ALL THE TIME!  It by far is the hardest working machine we have.  It always pulls through for me and I am so thankful for it. 

My diY-inner being was screaming for me to find something that I could make myself, while saving me money and giving me the peace-of-mind of knowing what was in the product I was using.

After searching the internet for a recipe I settled on this one.

The only changes I made were that I added a little more lemon juice and I also added some lemon essential oil.  I just love the smell of lemon, don't you?

So after I mixed everything up I let them sit out overnight, mainly because I wanted to make sure that they had time to 'set,"  well also because I didn't actually make them until about eleven that evening. 

 Here they are the morning after...

 
 
...it took no time at all to 'pop' them out of the mold and put them in my trusty jars.  I have a very unhealthy addiction to jars, if you haven't noticed by now.


So, the real test was would they work and would I like them?  Well...drum roll please...they worked!  They rocked and they smell great and they fit perfectly in my dishwasher detergent door thingy!

Score!  Cross this one off my list! 

Have you made your own dishwasher detergent before?  If so, how were your results?  I would love to hear all about them!.


Peace and love to you all!


*update*
after using these for a week or so, I noticed that there was a cloudy film on all my dishes.  I tried adding vinegar to the rinse cycle, but no luck.  I have since then switched to an organic form of dish tablets until I find a recipe that works. 





No comments: